Online Dating Icebreakers: Best Messages That Get Positive Emotional Response
There are plenty of things one should do to be successful on an online dating app or a site. The person needs to write that great online dating profile, look attractive in their photos, and, of course, know how to ask good ice breaker questions to catch another person’s attention and get that Tinder date. If you don’t know how to break the ice between you and a stranger, just keep reading—we have some tips and online dating icebreakers examples that can help you win the heart of your perfect dating app match.
How to set up good ice breakers? Basic rules
Of course, there are examples of the best ice breaker questions and funny ice breakers to put the ball in the other person’s court, but the truth is you should have your own ideas, too, not because it’s right but because other people also know how to use Google. So, there’s always a chance a person will read that funny line you used to break the ice for the third time. That’s why it’s so important to know the basic rules, and we explain the essential ones below:
- Pay attention to specific details. People using dating apps, especially those who are really motivated to meet someone, usually provide a lot of details—just don’t be one of those users who pay attention to photos and don’t notice anything else. A person’s bio can give you tons of details to use to come up with ideas for icebreaker questions. ‘How it feels to be born in Chicago?’ ‘You’re a fan of [name of the band]? It made my childhood and still remains but absolutely not-guilty pleasure. Will you watch the translation of the concert on ..?’ Use whatever you have and focus on things you’re genuinely interested in.
- Don’t try to be super creative if you don’t have inspiration. Yes, a quirky question, as well as creative and funny icebreakers, is likely to work but only if they’re really witty. Sending the old cheesy joke or a rude message that only seems funny to you is the worst thing you can do. Yes, you’ll get your match’s attention, but not in a good way. So, use the good ice breaker jokes or don’t use any.
- Greetings should be creative. Yes, icebreaker questions undoubtedly matter, but the interesting fact is that the greeting matters, too. Simply put, you should use hey, hola, anything except for hi—teams of the world’s most popular dating apps and sites provide interesting data according to which messages that start with ‘Hi’ get a few times fewer replies than messages starting with any other words.
- Keep it short, and don’t start with discussing the deepest things. Your icebreaker message should be as short and simple as possible. Don’t get us wrong—deep conversations are absolutely appreciated, especially if you want to make a lasting impression on someone, get to know each other better, and build that deep emotional connection, but the first message shouldn’t look like an essay or bear too philosophical sense. Start with simple things, listen attentively and move on to more complicated ones—that’s how it usually works.
Playing dating icebreaker games isn’t easy for nearly all people. Some focus too much on physical appearance, some try to use humor and make another person laugh when they actually have no inspiration to do it right—try to avoid such mistakes, be specific, pay enough attention to your match’s personality or demonstrate the desire to learn more about them, and it will work.
Good icebreakers for dating apps—Best examples
Now it’s time to take a look at some good icebreakers for online dating—use them for inspiration or as they are if you really like the idea.
- What’s the worst opening line you saw using dating apps?
- What are the three worst movies you’ve ever watched?
- Can you describe your life story in 6 emojis? By the way, here’s mine.
- If you could stop feeling hungry, what would be the last meal you’d eaten?
- What’s the best event in your life?
- If you could meet one celebrity in real life, who would it be?
- If you could switch lives with any living person, who would it be?
- What’s your guilty pleasure? I swear I won’t tell anyone?
- What is your dream job (if money isn’t that important)?
- What would you say to your younger self if you could?
Remember that these are not just the ways to start a conversation—no matter if you’re looking for the best friend, love of your life, or hookups, the answers may be your time-savers. In the case of dating icebreaker questions, there is no wrong or right answer, but there’s the answer that shows how you are talking to, so think carefully about what exactly you’d like to learn about another person first. Also, if you like someone, don’t forget to move on to the related topics, continue the conversation with open-ended questions, and talk about deep things—that will make your initial interest and first conversation actually go somewhere and help you get that first date with the person you like.